Thursday, January 27, 2011

Books | Anne of Avonlea Wisdom

[via]

Golden nuggets from Anne of Avonlea:

"I'll be eleven. You'd never think it to look at me, would you? Grandma says I'm very small for my age and that it's all because i don't eat enough porridge. I do my very best, but Grandma gives such generous platefuls... there's nothing mean about Grandma, I can tell you. Ever since you and I had that talk about praying going home from Sunday School that day, teacher... when you said we ought to pray about all our difficulties... I've prayed every night that God would give me enough grace to enable me to eat every bit of my porridge in the mornings. But I've never been able to do it yet, and whether it's because I have too little grace or too much porridge I really can't decide. Grandma says father was brought up on porridge, and it certainly did work well in his case, for you ought to see the shoulders he has. But sometimes," concluded Paul with a sigh and a meditative air, "I really think porridge will be the death of me."

Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery, Pages 126-127

And a verse I like:

"In the elder days of art
     Builders wrought with greatest care
Each minute and unseen part,
     For the gods see everywhere."

Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery, Page137




1 comment: