Monday, November 21, 2011

Textile | Learning to Crochet


Last night, my dear husband humored me, and said that we could go to Michael's so I could get a little yarn and a crochet hook. You may remember that I've mentioned a bazillion times how much I want to knit. This is still true, but with my limited amount of time, and no one around to help me pick up those dropped stitches, the task was a bit daunting.

However, when I was little, my mom taught me how to make a slip knot, how to hold a crochet hook and the yarn, and how to chain stitch. Once I even got a bit more advanced and remember making a sweet, tiny little granny square from a lace weight yarn that belonged to my grandma, or perhaps great grandma. I'm not sure how I did it, but I remember it quite distinctly. I was so proud. My littler sister crochets quite a bit now, and I thought, "you know, I should really try it again." I was so pleased when it felt very natural to pick the crochet hook up again, and last night I learned to Single Crochet. It's the most basic crochet stitch, but also the most essential, or at least that's what I understand.

My mother-in-law, who is an expert knitter, and always amazes me with her skill and dexterity, recommended that I check out the tutorials on Lion Brand Yarn, as she has found them very helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

So bam. I'm learning to crochet. It doesn't hurt that this lady is quite the inspiration.

Do you crochet or knit? For how long?

P.S. Yes I am wearing a tank top. Warm outside again today! I love this weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment