Thursday, April 5, 2012

Food | Greens for the mama & the toddler


I've been reading up on health, nutrition and fitness like a mad woman lately. I've been collecting green juice recipes over the past week and finally got to try one yesterday after my workout. This recipe is actually recommended for people who suffer from acne, so if that's you, you must try it! As for me, I was hoping it would give my iron levels a boost, since I think I might be anemic. And of course, my skin could most certainly use a little help.

1 Lemon
1/2 c. Parsley
Chopped 1 rib of celery
2 big handfuls of spinach
1 pince of peeled ginger
1 medium cucumber

This makes 16 oz. of juice/smoothie

Naturally, I forgot to buy celery when I was at the store, so I made it without, and just added a bit of water, since my blender really struggles unless there's enough liquid. Otherwise, I kept it just about like the recipe says. I was afraid of what it would taste like, but it really just tasted very lemony, which is just fine by me. And next time I think I'll use a bit more ginger, because I couldn't really taste it.

A note on the lemon: Most places I've read say that lemons (as well as limes) should be juiced whole. I cut the yellow skin off, though, because I didn't think my blender would be able to handle it. The white of citrus fruits is very nutritious, though, so I tried to keep as much of that on as possible.

If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Do you have any favorite green juice recipes?


**UPDATE: this woman knows far more about juicing than I do. So glad she posted about it this morning!

And what about the toddler? Well, he will finally eat something green. This is a huge triumph in our house, and you'd better believe that cucumbers will be on my grocery list every week, without fail. The only problem is convincing him that eating them is even more fun than playing with them...






P.S. This juice recipe and others for acne found here.

2 comments:

  1. After watching Hungry for Change we also watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Did you see it? The stories of the two men in it are inspiring and heartwarming. Anyway, Dan's parents may have an extra juicer lying around and we're going to ask if we can borrow it- I definitely want to try some green juices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so great, kate! i haven't seen that, but i will definitely look it up. i'm just about to do some juicer shopping, myself! hope you can get theirs!

      Delete