Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Where we're going, or why I love Dogwoods


I wrote my thesis on Louis Comfort Tiffany, best known for his flora and fauna inspired stained glass windows and lamps, as well as a breathtaking chapel. One of his favorite elements to employ in his designs was the Dogwood flower. The state flower of North Carolina(!) is none other than the Dogwood. And completely unrelated, but equally exciting is that it is also the home of Andy Griffith! (Okay, I'm fully aware of how ridiculous these reasons for NC's coolness are, but I've never been there! After we move I'll give you some substantial reasons, besides beautiful weather.)

We are very excited about our plans to attend school in this lovely state, but it is so bittersweet, as we will miss our friends and home in Michigan. Not to mention it is twice as far from our families in Ohio. We have full confidence that God will provide time with our families, as well as bring friends to us in North Carolina.

[both images (one & two) are of Louis Comfort Tiffany creations]

6 comments:

  1. Mary, I am so so so excited for you guys- you are going to LOVE North Carolina! Beautiful city, beautiful state, beautiful culture. I really can't wait for you to experience it, and I'll be praying for you guys in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You're going to love it. My parents moved to Raleigh in the middle of my sophomore year -- I was completely surprised by how much I liked it. It's beautiful there. Maybe we'll see you sometime we're visiting my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I always thought I would love North Carolina...I need to go someday :)

    My favorite thing about the spring down here so far is actually how many dogwood trees there are! Apparently they love having a few more months of warmth than back in MI :)

    http://anna-gemutlichkeit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone!

    karen, i know that we will still be a considerable distance from you in s.c., but we would still like to visit sometime. it's much closer than it is now!

    wendy, we are going to be just 10 minutes from raleigh, so we should definitely try to get together when you visit! let us know! where do your parents go to church? there is an african anglican church that we want to try, but would love any suggestions! hope you and eric are doign well in california!

    anna, yay! i'm so glad they have tons of dogwoods in reality and not just in theory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary -- that is so wonderful! We are making the trek from the midwest to the mid-Atlantic as well, since Tommy is going to UVA for law school. Hope your move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's so exciting, dawn! if we're ever up that way, we'll be sure to stop by! best to you both as you plan to move. :)

    ReplyDelete