Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fashion | Quality vs. Quantity



This article, History of the Cheap Dress, is eye-opening to say the least. It is about a change in clothing consumerism over the last 100 years, and how we've traded quality for quantity. Just a quick snippet from the article, 


"In 1930, the average American woman owned an average of nine outfits. Today, we each buy more than 60 pieces of new clothing on average per year. Our closets are larger and more stuffed than ever, as we've traded quality and style for low prices and trend-chasing. In the face of these irresistible deals, our total spending on clothing has actually increased, from $7.82 billion spent on apparel in 1950 to $375 billion today."


I have always been irresistibly drawn to quality, and viewed it as somewhat of a burden. I would say to myself something along the lines of, "No one else cares if their shoes are from wal-mart! No one else cares if their baby's toys are made of cheap materials, or clothes of polyester!"Now, however, I'm challenged to view that desire as something good, so long as I am not striving for constant flux in my wardrobe and possessions.  In order to have quality, the majority of us I think, must choose to trade the hottest trends for a stable wardrobe. 


I wonder what my closet would look like if I had an average of 9 outfits? I'm curious, what would yours look like?


Thanks to the amazing Lena Corwin for bringing this article to my attention!


image

No comments:

Post a Comment