Friday, June 17, 2011

Food | Coconut cream pie


It was Cody’s birthday party. Almost everything went wrong as I endeavored to put together a coconut cream pie worthy of eating. It took 3 tries to make the pie crust; one ending in a tragic, slip-out-of-the-pan kind of way. And then I burned the nice peaks of meringue and coconut I had been so proud of. It was the lowest point of my life in the kitchen. But in the end, it tasted great... a small miracle, really.
For my crust, I used lard. I’ll be honest. It wasn’t my favorite, but I know that some people prefer it. For the meringue, my only tip is make sure not to over do the egg whites. I did that my first time making a lemon meringue pie and it was terribly sad looking because the meringue was too stiff to spread.
Thanks for the recipe, mom! Seb loved the filling. 


And happy birthday, sweet husband. We love you! Here are a couple pictures from our little gathering.




Coconut cream pie
Pie Crust
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. + 2 Tbsp. shortening or 2/3 c. lard
mix flour and salt
cut in the shortening or lard until crumbly
add 4-5 Tbsp. of cold water, then mix.
divide into 2 pieces and then roll out. you will only need half for this pie. you can either make two pies now, or freeze the second half and save it for later!
when you roll, flatten, don’t stretch
prick with fork on bottom and sides. be thorough
bake pie crust
475 degrees for 8-10 minutes
Filling
mix cooked vanilla pudding w/ 1 c. coconut
Meringue
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
6 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
beat egg and cream of tarter until foamy
beat in 1 Tbsp. of sugar at a time
continue beating until stiff and glossy
add vanilla right at the end.
Assemble
let pie crust cool
put pudding in then meringue
bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment