Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Healthy spaces | This husband helps me




In the 2+ years that Cody and I have been married, we have lived in a teeny tiny apartment, and although we’re in a full-size house right now, we are primarily living on the first floor, so our living space is still pretty limited. 
I am generally not a fan of huge, sprawling homes (read: excess space), but having a baby, and now a toddler, has changed my idea of what a healthy space looks like. Whenever I step into a friends spacious home, I feel like a burden has been lifted. My awareness of how cramped I feel in our home is suddenly glaring.
First of all, a small home is no reason to complain. I am working on my attitude for sure, and try to remember that a spacious living space is a blessing and a luxury, not a right. Also, our family is young and new. We are still starting out, and it’s important to remember that we need to be patient for the things that our parents have. I would love to buy a home right now. Cody would love that, too. But we have many years of school (and rentals) ahead of us.
Although this is a daily struggle for me, I’m trying to stay joyful and thankful for the blessings that I have. Just yesterday, Cody found a free coffee table on the side of the street. It’s ugly and not my taste at all, but is in good condition. I plan to sand it down and paint it (any color suggestions?), and then it will be better than new, and still awesomely inexpensive. Thank you, God, for providing something that we really needed to make our house a home!
And today, I really wanted to do pilates, but when you spend all day in your bedroom/living room, the last thing you want to do is, you guessed it, do pilates in that very same room. We had piles of clothes, books and papers surrounding my workout space, and although it’s hard to unwind in an area like that, I decided it would be okay once I started. During my workout Cody busied himself around me cleaning up (often getting downward facing dog kicks in the rear). I didn’t realize until later that he chose that specific area to clean so that it would be more restful and uncluttered for me to work out in. Isn’t that amazing?
He is such an advocate for creating a healthy space for me and Sebastian to spend our days in, and I am so thankful for him. I hope I remember days like today the next time I feel frustrated with our home space.
What have you done to help create a peaceful, restful and healthy space? I’d love to hear your ideas! 


P.S. I've been spread a bit thin lately, especially when it comes to blogging, so I’ve decided to scrap my baby blog, Nestling, and just incorporate those things about motherhood and babies here instead.
Thanks to those of you who have been keeping up with Nestling. I’ve really enjoyed blogging over there, but would really like to focus on making The Priscilla Home a place that reflects all the aspects of my life. I hope you’ll like the changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment