Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Food | Two breads


Sometimes we get to a point where I just have to make bread. It's remarkable how a nice homemade loaf can make an empty kitchen seem suddenly full, and a humble meal seem instantly glamorous. If it's any clue into the state of our refrigerator, I made not one, but two kinds of bread tonight. The beer bread is a trusty favorite, and the naan was a new one that I've been wanting to try. Both were a success and are so easy to make, so I thought I would share them with you. The naan is sure to be a new staple around here. I can't wait to eat it with some of the hummus I made earlier today.

And what to say about the beer bread... it is the fastest, easiest bread I've made, plus gives me a hint of beer flavor, which is very appreciated by my pregnant self. I often make this bread when I need an emergency filler, or when we just don't have much food in the house, like tonight.


BEER BREAD

PREP TIME  15 Min  
COOK TIME  45 Min  
READY IN  1 Hr
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup brown sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer 
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS (which I leave out):
1/2 teaspoon onion powder 
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning 
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted  
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch baking pan. 
In a bowl, mix the self-rising flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Pour in the beer, and mix just until moistened. Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Top with the melted butter. 
Bake 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

TIP... if you don't have self-rising flour, but have plenty of all-purpose, don't sweat it. You can make self-rising flour with a combination of all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Just look in the back of your Better Homes and Gardens cookbook or online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment