Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Finger Food | Snack trays




Last week I mentioned that I would be making snack bins for Seb, but after a little more thought I realized that they wouldn't be terribly budget friendly since we're trying to cut back on the amount of snack foods I buy, there would still be some unavoidable daily prep, and seb would only ever pick his favorite items and not touch the healthy mystery foods.

So today we tried something a little different, and I'm really pleased with how it was received. Last night I filled one baby food freezer tray with nuts, dried fruit, pretzels and even some dark chocolate covered super berries, or something like that. I filled another one with cucumbers, green peppers, pepperoni, and shredded cheese.

It turned out to be a fabulous way to present Seb with lots of options and still sneak in a few things that I wanted him to eat. He of course went straight for the good stuff, like anything chocolate covered, but when it was gone, it was gone, and there were other options.

The other bonus is that even though it takes nightly prep, our snacks are taken care of for the day, and since our trays come with lids, I can even throw them in the diaper bag for a day out.

I'm really excited to play around with the veggie tray a bit more. Seb is finally getting into dipping things, so I'd like to put some hummus, peanut butter, and plain greek yogurt in them to add some variety to his veggies.

P.S. True story: Seb went shirtless all morning because we ran out of clean shirts for him. And not just a clean shirt... a shirt that hadn't been worn more than 3 times already. I swear it's been less than a week since I did a load of something other than diapers. Fortunately, Seb prefers the shirtless look.

2 comments:

  1. I love doing this with reagan! It looks so pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. At first I thought it was an ice tray.

    ReplyDelete