Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Create | Quilt dreaming






I have this dream to make each of my children a twin-sized quilt for their beds. It's a lovely dream, but the task of making a quilt, especially considering that I've never made one, is so daunting that I've put it off until now. And even now, I'm still in the planning/dreaming stage. I'm hoping the fact that we will be moving Sebastian to a twin at some point this year is enough motivation to get me off my rump.

And since I was awesome today and cleaned my crafting half of our den, which was previously abominable, I was able to sort through my fabrics, and start thinking about actually making one of these quilts happen. I have a few vintage flour sack fabrics from my grandma, and I have been saving them for the perfect, sentimental project. Unfortunately, they're not quite what I'm looking for for the boys, so I'm going to hold off using them, and perhaps buy a few vintage prints from Etsy as my inspiration.

And if you, too, have the quilting bug. Check out these tutorials from The Purl Bee: Broken Dishes Baby QuiltWindowpane Wholecloth Quilt,  and Sunny Tied Quilt.

Lastly, I would be forever indebted to you for any quilting tips. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to decide  the particulars.

Images: 1/2/3/4/5

5 comments:

  1. I made a quilt two years ago when I was home for the summer, and it was very rewarding. Next time, I will be much more careful during the cutting stage, since that will make the piecing stage so much easier. I really want to try hand quilting! I love that look or a free hand machine quilting look. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a quilt two years ago when I was home for the summer, and it was very rewarding. Next time, I will be much more careful during the cutting stage, since that will make the piecing stage so much easier. I really want to try hand quilting! I love that look or a free hand machine quilting look. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be such a wonderful keepsake for each of your boys! I have lots of opinions on quilts and quilting (clearly) so let me know if you need to pick my brain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually thinking about starting a quilt tonight! I have done a very tiny little bit (some hand quilting...I just really like hand sewing much more than machine sewing) and thought it might be nice to have a beautiful addition to our room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I've got the quilting bug lately too. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer since I'm a newbie too. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete