Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mama | Blessings abound


I can't express how supported and encouraged I've felt during this pregnancy, especially as it nears an end. Our Durham friends specifically have gone above and beyond what we could have ever hoped for not only in prayers and encouragement, but in blessing us with thoughtful gifts, parties and brunches. Just this morning the ladies in my bible study planned a sweet brunch during our study, and completely surprised me with a gift certificate for a massage (!!!) and the exact Aden & Anais blanket I had been wanting! (Many thanks to Elisabeth for doing the legwork on this one!) Even without these gifts, these women have already overwhelmed me with the ways in which they've blessed me. I have no doubt that it is because of their prayers, and the prayers of our family and other friends, that I feel so great about this pregnancy and upcoming birth. I have no fears or worries left, and am just waiting eagerly to meet our beautiful little boy. I say this because I want to emphasize the way God can show his blessings to us even without financial or material gifts, but sometimes we get those, too.  I am so thankful for these ladies and the way they have sought to cover us with prayers and blessings of all kinds.

If you are pregnant and feeling overwhelmed by money stress or are saddened that you can't afford that perfect little blanket or sweet pair of booties, be encouraged. The reality is, you may not get those things, but seek out the prayers and encouragement of friends. I can't tell you how much those types of spiritual gifts and support can bolster you in the difficult times of pregnancy and during new motherhood. I have learned that it is in those things that we see most the hand of God at work.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how amazingly blessed Cody, Sebastian, and I were to have Cody's parents stay with us for 10 days! Cody was only here for a bit of it, as you know, but he felt at ease being away, knowing that his parents were here to help take care of things, especially if little man made his arrival while he was away. Thankfully, baby waited, but we were still so blessed by Cody's parents' presence. Seb developed something akin to an obsession with his Pawpaw, which was so sweet to see, and I'm glad for that time if for no other reason than it gave Seb a chance to bond with two of his grandparents. So thank you, Mom and Dad Strecker for giving Seb a bike, teaching him to ride it, taking him to the pool, on walks and to the park, and for letting me nap at all hours of the day, for cleaning and cooking, for buying groceries and filling the car up with gas, and being a calming and loving presence for us while Cody was away.

Much love to you all, and many thanks to our friends and family. We can't wait to introduce our dear little boy to those who already love him dearly and pray for him daily. I am so glad we have such an incredible "village" to raise our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment